Jazz For The Next Generation
Jazz For the Next Generation a music competition that will provide an opportunity for upcoming young musicians to show case their talents and to be discovered as the next generation of jazz musicians in Nepal.
Jazz for the Next Generation Band Competition 2022
Thursday, 13 October 2022
Rules & Information
• Eligibility is exclusive to bands consisting of two to six members.
• Each band member must be 27 years of age or under as of 13 October 2022, and at least 18 years of age at the time of application.
Any band member below 18 years of age must submit written and signed permission for their participation from a parent/guardian
as part of the application.
Please submit the JFNG application form available on the Jazzmandu website (www.jazzmandu.com).
Each application must include:
• A current resume of musical experience (if any)
• A band photograph
• A YouTube or We Transfer link to a video that:
– shows a live performance by the band of one piece (can be instrumental or with vocals, original composition or a cover)
in the style of jazz, funk, blues, fusion or any other jazz genre
– displays the band’s musical ability, including technical skills, cohesive group performance, ability to improvise, musicality, etc.
– includes all the band members listed in the application
– begins with an introduction of the band and the names of all members
All applications must be received no later than 11pm NST on 1st October 2022. Incomplete or inaccurate applications will be disqualified.
• Three finalists will be selected based on the quality of the performance in the application video
• Applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis
• 3 selected finalists will be notified by email no later than 3rd October, 2022
Finalists will perform at the Jazz for the Next Generation event on 13 October 2022 as part of Jazzmandu 2022.
A jury of visiting Jazzmandu 2022 artists will evaluate the finalists’ performances and select one Outstanding Band and one
Outstanding Individual Artist based on the following criteria: musicality, dexterity and technical abilities, improvisational skills,
musical interaction with band members, originality and stylistic presentation. The jury’s decisions will be final.
Each finalist band will have 15 minutes on stage to perform one or two pieces, including the time taken to set up on stage
(a standard drum kit, backline and PA system will be arranged beforehand for all the participants).
Exceeding the time limit will lead to point deductions and may lead to the performance being cut off.
All finalists will receive certificates of participation.
The Outstanding Band will receive:
• The opportunity to perform live at the Gokarna Jazz Bazaar on Saturday, 15 October, as part of Jazzmandu 2022.
• An hour-long private lesson for each band member on their respective instrument with a visiting Jazzmandu artist.
(The organisers will try their best to match each band member with their top choice of visiting artist,
but the match is subject to the artists’ availability and is not guaranteed.)
• One musician’s pass and one free ticket per band member for the Gokarna Jazz Bazaar and the Jazzmandu Finale
The Outstanding Individual Artist will receive:
• A musician’s pass and one free ticket to the Gokarna Jazz Bazaar and the Jazzmandu Finale
• An hour-long private lesson on their instrument with a visiting Jazzmandu artist. (The organisers will try their best to match the winner with their top choice of visiting artist, but the match is subject to the artist’s availability and is not guaranteed.)
By submitting an application, all applicants agree to have their names and band photo appear on the Jazzmandu
website and on the festival’s promotional materials
Jazzmandu will have the right to publicise the names and photos of the winners of the competition for
media and promotional purposes. All winners will have to make themselves available for
post-event photos and interviews with local journalists and Jazzmandu’s media team.